The Taunton Green Historic District is a historic area located at the center of the city of Taunton, Massachusetts. The green was laid out in 1830 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985 and contains approximately 20 buildings on 50 acres.
Taunton Green was, historically, the gathering place for troops headed to war and since 1914 it has hosted the city's annual holiday light display which attracts visitors from throughout the area, giving Taunton the nickname of "The Christmas City".
The Green surrounds, the Church Green, a town common originally known as Meetinghouse Common, Church Green is the site of Taunton's first town center and its first meetinghouse,used for both religious and governmental purposes.
It is a triangular-shaped parcel of land located at the intersection of Summer Street (Route 140) and Dean Street (Route 44), and today it has distinctive Veterans Memorials dedicated to both Vietnam Veterans and Global War on Terrorism Veterans. These memorials feature seven flags that are in a V shape, a fountain, a brick garden, reflection benches, the Vietnam Veterans Memorial and the Global War on Terrorism Memorial.
The green was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1977