The Seamen's Bethel

The Seamen's Bethel " In this same New Bedford there stands a whaleman's chapel, and few are the moody fishermen, shortly bound for the Indian Ocean or Pacific, who fail to make a Sunday visit to the spot" -HermanMelille, Moby Dick, 1852

Built in 1832 and once housing a school, seamen's register (which helped to connect seafarers with those staying ashore), library and reading room, the non-denominational Seamen's Bethel still serves the seafaring community of New Bedford while also providing a historical venue for joyous occasions such as weddings and baptisms as well as a somber setting for funeral and memorial services.

The Seamen's Bethel is owned and managed by the New Bedford Port Society, established in 1830 to "promote the interest of Seamen" and is supported primarily by the Society's membership and the general public.

The Seamen's Bethel is open seven days a week, 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., mid May through the end of October.

15 Johnny Cake Hill
New Bedford, MA 02740
Phone: 508-992-3295

Additional Information